July 24, 2010

Yesterday I went and worked for about four hours with Doug. The old man who owns the hand piece repair franchise I just started working for is so cool.

He acts like a kid, has a kid my age who has really long hair and is in a rock band. Doug is just super cool and fun to be around.

I had so much fun learning how to do everything. I get hand pieces, in this case drills. I line them up 6 at a time, I test all of them. For appearance, drill speed, gripper, button,  sound, feel, water, and fiber optics. I have to say I picked up on it really really quickly. I love fixing things, solving problems and finding solutions. This was just up my alley. After testing each one, I found that 3 of them weren't working. Means they needed new rotors, and 2 wouldn't hold a burr, which is the name of the bit you stick the drill to drill with.



So this is a picture of what's inside the head of a dental drill. You can see the bearing, the button, the turbine (that blue sharp looking thing) and then you have the same setup on the other side. The turbines as you see them there are all put together, but before they look like that, you have to test each one for consentricity, which is basically to see if it will spin perfectly straight when turned on. Then you have to put them all together, that little piece your looking at right there is smaller than my thumbnail. And there's about 12 pieces that go into making it look like that. Half the time I'm using a magnifiying glass and I'm almost always using a dentist type pick or other small sharp instrument to pick up the pieces and put them in the right places. It's insane it really is.

I love it though. This guy looks like a serious dork, but if you look closely he's got all the pieces of a hand drill taken apart and it looks like he's re-assembling it.

Try not to look too close at this guy he's kinda scary.

I'll post more pics of my workspace and what I do later on. I'm working again on Monday.

No comments: